Ps 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!



Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Jam!

I finally had enough strawberries from the plants we put in last year (75 plants) to make some strawberry freezer jam. My mom used to make this when I was growing up and it is just yummy good! It is also very easy. I used 4 cups of mashed strawberries, 7 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1 packet of liquid pectin. You just combine everything but the pectin and bring to a hard boil stirring frequently over pretty high heat. Make sure you alreaady have your pectin ready to pour in. I cut the top off of mine and just sit the packet in a cup. As soon as the strawberry mix is boiling so hard you really can't stir it down, pour in the pectin and continue to boil for 1 minute. The mixture will foam while boiling, but you can add 1/2 tsp of butter to help with that. Do NOT add more than this or it can affect the jam's ability to set. Remove from heat and then place in your freezer containers. Let them sit for 24 hours and then place in the fridge for use within 3 weeks or freeze.I am looking for a recipe that doesn't use pectin. If you have one please share it. We have not had to spray our berries, so they are totally pesticide free! They are so sweet and juicy. They made great jam and I enjoyed some on toast this morning with my cheese omelet-oooo weee that was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment