Ps 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!



Monday, August 9, 2010

Tomatoes and Peppers

Our garden looks absolutley horrible. Being gone for 10 days certainly didn't help it any, but the weather here is so dry, that everything looks pretty rough. I did manage to bring in a small amount of tomatoes this weekend. We have hundreds of them on the vine that haven't fallen prey to blossom end rot yet, but I am not sure they will make it. They are still so green. Need to make some fried green tomatoes. Yum! I will just put this small amount up in the freezer. I did put up 13 small bags of chopped green peppers this weekend as well. I like putting those through my food processor and storing them in about 1/2 cup amounts. I do the same thing with onions. It makes sauteing them for sauces and dishes very simple. Pop out a couple of bags and you are good to go! The other item we have plenty of is banana peppers. They are similar to a weed in their growth process. They need little to no care and will grow anywhere in rampant amounts! I make a banana pepper mustard that is out of this world for dipping and for sandwiches and I've even used some in deviled eggs to give them a kick. I will include my recipe here in case you have banana peppers coming our your ears too! Enjoy.
Sweet or Hot Banana Pepper Relish
9-12 banana peppers cleaned and chopped
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup prepared mustard
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp water
Cook the peppers in the vinegar for 5 minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cook for about 10 minutes longer. You will need to stir frequently so that it doesn't stick to your pan. Let cool a bit and then put in containers. Store tightly sealed in refrigerator. This keeps very well. You could can it so that it could be stored on a pantry shelf or be given away as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment