Ps 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Flaky, buttery chocolate chip scones

My husband and I went to Scotland many years ago. We left our 2 young children with relatives and off we went for 2 1/2 weeks. It really is a beautiful place. One of my favorite things about that country is how every afternoon they stopped for tea. I say why just tea? why not a scone too? They had marvelous scones in Scotland. This recipe is for chocolate chip, but you could just leave out the chips and then split them open and put homemade jam or preserves on them-YUM! My kids love chocolate chip anything, so that is why I add them. I have played with this recipe over the years, but I really like the way they turn out now.
As always, gather your supplies before starting. Your hands will get messy with this one!
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2-3 Tbsp. sugar (I use 2)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup COLD butter
1 egg
4-6 Tbsp. half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup semi sweet chips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, bakiing powder & salt. Cut butter into small chunks and then use a fork or pastry blender to cut it in.(pic 4) It will look like crumbs when it is right. I then beat my egg, vanilla and about 3 Tbsp of the half and half in a small bowl. Pour into flour mixture along with chips and mix. Little by little add the remaining half and half, until the mixture comes together and will stick to itself. (pic 3) Then flour a cutting board or your countertop. Dump out the mixture and with floured hands knead the dough about 10 times. The less you mess---the flakier and lighter they will be. Once you have kneaded the dough into a ball, roll or press it out into a 1/2 inch thick circle. (pic 2) Then cut it into 8 wedges. Transfer these to a cookie sheet. I seperate them. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. These are beautiful if you rub an egg white wash over them before baking. These do not last in my house. You can cut them open and add butter and whipped cream-OOOOOOHHH Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment